A Basic Guide to Avoiding Shopping Malls:
- Home baking
- Vanilla extract
- Home grown and homemade relish, jam or marmalade
- Terrarium’s or home grown plants
- Homemade body lotions, lip balms, toothpaste etc.
- Home brew alcohol or Kombucha
- Home crafts such as knitting, painting, drawing, sewing or any other hidden talent.
- Reuse glass jars to fill with sweets, baking or homemade lotions
- Revamp a second-hand frame with a photograph of you and your friend, or their pet etc.
- Offer your skills for a day or to fix or mend an item of your friend’s.
- Experiences, take them to the movies, zoo, that place they have always wanted to go, tickets to a concert or skydiving etc.
- Donate to the person’s favourite charity (or cause) on their behalf
A Basic Guide to Buying Sustainable Gifts:
Some pretty standard, useful, low waste gift ideas. Especially useful if you are doing secret santa and may not know the recipient that well.
- Reusable Coffee cup, metal tumbler or mason jar
- Metal or glass straws
- Glass or metal containers
- A menstrual cup
- Wooden or bamboo chopping board
- A bicycle or bike accessories
- Something they actually need (I can’t stress this enough)
- A gift voucher for a sustainable shop (Such as Biome, which also has some handy gift guides!)
- Something edible (such as Trade Aid chocolate in compostable packing!)
- Support local businesses!
A Basic Guide to Waste Free Gift Wrap:
- Reusable bag
- Tea towel
- Mesh Bag or Bread Bag
- Pillow Case
- Scrap Paper
- Re-used gift wrap
- Wax paper that has been drawn/doodled on
- No gift wrap!
The best thing is the first few ‘gift wraps’ also double as a present!
So please be thoughtful this holiday season, try to avoid unnecessary waste, support local businesses instead and try your hand at discovering new or hidden talents.